Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Another book over and nothing lined up to read next...

I just finished yet another summer read: The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller. I can't say it was the most thrilling read yet, but definately interesting and compelling in its own respect: learning about life without sight and sound.
After telling about her visits to the theatre and museums, trips to the seaside, riding her bicycle and rowing her boat:
Is it not true, then, that my life with all its limitations touches at many points the life of the World Beautiful? Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.

When I heard about the birth of a child both blind and deaf, I was overwhelmed by my imagination of what that life might be. All that I could think of was that which would be missed and I could only imagine a lonely and desolate world. Now I know better, or at least can feel more optimism and hope for the wee miracle Merlin.

4 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Darcy said...

so you found your other blog thing? but there is nothing there :(

 
At 10:54 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Darcy said...

....oh, and yes, me too.

 
At 6:17 AM, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darcy, since the title of this said "...and nothing lined up to read next" I suggest you read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. While it isn't thrilling either, I thought it was quite interesting to read about a young person going through such an ordeal with drug rehab. The way he writes is also kinda cool...no punctuation. And you can clearly pick out the parts that may be little white lies. Also, being a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, I have picked up Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. Although I am only about 100 pages in, it's quite fascinating as well. Just thought I'd share!
April
P.S. I miss your sister...*sniff, sniff* Give her a hug for me!

 
At 7:24 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger Darcy said...

thanks April! i love to get new recommendations for books to read. as for now, i have started reading the Chronicles of Narnia and am quite enjoying the leisurely reading. after that, i think i am going to take up a recommendation to read a book called Ishmael. and then i will look for your recommendations indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home