Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Cerebral Fabrications

I held a human brain once; it belonged to a man. He had died of natural causes at the ripe old age of 98. And there I was holding it, his brain. Well only one half really - the corpus callosum had been cut, freeing the left hemisphere from the right, so that the class full of students would have better odds of being able to pick it up during the short break. The ridges, folds, bumps, all intricately and perfectly arranged, that had been his memories, thoughts, feelings, emotions, experiences. His whole life. It was unbelievable.
Even before that moment in my life, brains both fascinated and disgusted me. Brains thinking about brains! I'm constantly totally and completely baffled.
I can produce a whole fight with someone in my head. I do it all the time. One minor thing can trigger a snowballing of thoughts. Over-thinking, over-analyzing until, in a short amount of time, every one of their actions are viewed through this warped perspective lense, altered until they fit neatly into this fabricated scenario.
Once it all blows over and I realize what I've done, I can only conclude that the power of our minds is incredible. Everything we experience is interpreted by the highly subjective machine of our brain. Without our human brains, we would be nothing, probably on the same level as a fish. But at the same time, how much do they alter our own experiences of life? And it gets me to thinking about how much we can trust our minds about the reality they create for us. How much of our experiences have been so warped by our subjective interpretation that they no longer match up with everyone elses'?
Now I'm left here sitting, thinking about my brain thinking about my brain thinking about my brain
I think the next book I read will be on epistemology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home